top bar

Feb 23, 2010

Tomato Seedlings

Kari was right, most of the seedlings appeared on day eight. Two of the seeds never germinated so I added new seeds to their containers; here is the tiniest one.

You may be wondering what happened to the newspaper pots they started out in. Well, I neglected them for a few days and unfortunately they got moldy. After I freaked out, I removed the newspaper, sprayed the sides of the dirt with diluted vinegar, and let them air out for awhile. They are doing well now, I think that I should have not kept them covered for so long since newspaper holds water so well.

The tomatoes now reside in aluminum cans. I made a number of holes in the bottom of each can and slipped the dirt cylinder of each tomato plant inside. The cans keep the soil from drying out (while I was collecting the cans the plants didn't have containers) but allows for drainage.


  1. very nice. looks like they are doing well. :D

  2. Hi Kelly - this is Jenny in Portland. Your mom told me about your blog. Just wanted to let you know that I love it, and I'm very inspired by all your projects!


NOTE: To get a faster response avoid commenting as "Anonymous". Your message is less likely to be overlooked as spam if you enter a name!