One of the places I would like to visit is India, I would especially like to be there during Holi, the Spring Festival. This year Holi is on March 27th and I am making colored powders for my own play of colors.
So far my color powders aren't as vibrant as the store-bought ones, but they are less expensive and totally edible (when throwing it around some definitely ends up in your mouth!). Here is how I made these:
1 Pound Corn Starch (for each color)
1. Pour some of the corn starch into a large bowl.
2. Mix 1 cup water and 50+ drops of food coloring (in the picture above, the green used 40 drops of food coloring and the blue used 50) and pour into the bowl.
3. "Stir" the water and corn starch together while slowly adding the remaining corn starch. Once most of the corn starch is added, it may be easier to use your hands to mix.
4. Sift the wet, colored corn starch through a sifter or strainer onto a cookie sheet.
5. Dry the corn starch in a 200°F oven for approximately 60 minutes checking and mixing every 10-20 minutes. Note: A lower temperature and longer time will reduce the likelihood of the starch cooking and forming hard chunks.
6. Once the colored corn starch is dry, sift it through a sifter or strainer again to get rid of any clumps then store in the corn starch container or a zipper storage bag until ready to use.
I have only made blue and green colored powders, I'll be making some other colors this weekend and I'll update this page with any DIY color powder breakthroughs I may have! Also, who wants to get together to throw colored corn starch at each other?